- Oil (Coconut) – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 Tsp
- Chilly flakes – 1 Tsp ~ Optional
- Curry leaves – 2 or 3 Leaves
- Red Chilly – 1 (Finely chopped) ~ Optional
- Onion – 1/2 (Chopped)
- Potato – 1 (Chopped)
- Carrot – 1/2 (Chopped)
- Ginger and Garlic – 1 Tsp (Finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Cooked Barley – 1 Cup
- Pepper powder – 1 Pinch
- Barley Stock – 1 Cup
- Green Capsicum/Bell Pepper – 1 Tbsp (Finely chopped)
How to cook barley?
- Wash and soak barley in water overnight or at least 8 hours.
- Drain water.
- Cook soaked barley in 3 cups of water in saucepan or pot till barley turns soft. You can add extra water if required during cooking.
- Strain barley and keep barley stock too.
- Add oil in the saucepan over medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds, chilly flakes (optional), curry leaves, red chilly and chopped onion one by one and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly golden brown.
- Add vegetables – chopped you love to eat. Example : Potato, Carrot, Beans etc.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic.
- Add salt to taste, pepper powder (optional) and cooked barley and stir it.
- Add barley stock and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add Green Capsicum/Bell Pepper.
- Continue to simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes.
I ate barley pulav with an egg omelet and curd. You can have this recipe for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.